Best Local Places to Enjoy Fun in the Sun
Summer has finally arrived and we are enjoying some hot sunny days offset by cool evenings at last. We are fortunate to have some very special places in our area where we can enjoy the water and the beach.
Feel like a swim or a day at the Beach? Here are a few of our area favorites!
- Glimmerglass State Park, located at the north end of Otsego Lake accessed from the east side at County Highway 31. Vehicle entrance fee of $7 per car or with Empire Passport (unlimited day use entry to most NY State Parks for $65. Open for swimming 11am-7pm on weekends and holidays through June 19, then daily through 9/7/15. Non-motorized boat launching is available near the parking area.
- Fairy Spring Park- East Lake Road, County 31, Cooperstown, NY – Open weekends through June 26, then daily through the summer. 11am to dusk with swimming allowed when lifeguards are on duty. Free for residents of Cooperstown Village with a family pass + $5 per person for guests.
- Three Mile Point – 6266 State Highway 80, Cooperstown, NY – Open weekends through June 26, then daily through the summer. 10am to dusk with swimming allowed when lifeguards are on duty. Free for residents of Cooperstown Village with a family pass + $5 per person for guests. Docks available for boating and fishing.
Feel like being out on the water? Try one of these for the day!
- Canoe and Kayak Rentals and Sales – State Route 28, Portlandville – June through August 9am-6pm daily. Half day, full day and week long rentals are available. Launch from and return to dock in portlandville. Calm water paddling on the Susquehanna River. Shuttle and delivery services are available to additional locations. Fishing pole rentals are also available! 607-286-7349
- CP’s Fishing Charter Service – Based in Richfield Springs, NY – Charters are available 7 days a week during April through September. Your New York fishing guides are fully licensed and insured. All trips are fully equipped with necessary tackle, necessary electronics and fish finding equipment. Boat is a registered and inspected public vessel by the N.Y. State office of Parks and Recreation. Otsego Lake sightseeing tours are also available. 315-360-7113
- LadyBug Kayak Rentals – Kayaks are available for rent for full and half day at Glimmerglass State Park. No reservations required. Delivery available to other locations on Otsego and Canadarago Lakes. 315-941-8380
- Public Boat Launch, Otsego Lake – Fish Road, Cooperstown – The only public boat launch on Otsego Lake. Open 5 am to 7:30 pm, $10 single boat fee (multiple launch passes available). Boats must be clean of vegetation, will be inspected. On-site vehicle parking limited (including trailers). Parking available at the Trolley Lots. 607-547-4149
- Sam Smith’s Boat Yard – County Route 80, Cooperstown – Rentals of canoes, kayaks, fishing boats, cruisers, and large and small pontoon boats. Rent by the hour, half day or full day. No tubing or water skiing are allowed with rentals. Reservations are recommended. 607-547-2543
- Time Out Boat Rentals – based in the Cooperstown area – Pontoon Boats are delivered to the hotels, motels, parks, and camps on Otsego Lake along with with Personalized instruction. Rentals are available for hourly, half day (4 hours), full day (8 hours), and weekly rates. 607-287-7737
Enjoy the summer and don’t forget your sunscreen! If we can help you with your insurance needs for home, auto, watercraft, business, financial and more – give us a call at one of our area offices in Cooperstown at 607-547-2951 and in Morris at 607-263-5170. Our staff is happy to assist you with information and a quote.